Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Take Five--Grading Categories Downsized

I am already seeing the fruit of adding more colleagues to our curriculum innovation team; so many great conversations, strong focus on student-led learning, and the grading discussion. Lauren visited with me on how she is handling her English 10, English Lit. and Creative Writing classes in regards to categories. She structured her categories after Tony Winger's, of course aligning them with English curriculum. I loved her ideas and weight for each category. I am using her very ones and feel a lightened load as I go from 13 categories to 4. And, not only is it a benefit for me, the conversation is so focused on the skills and content that it will be evident a students weakness, or an overall struggle. I am excited to this year's parent/teacher conferences to see the change in our grades discussion. Thanks Lauren for sharing!

1 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Karl Fisch said...

That's great! I think it will be much easier for you to manage 4 categories rather than 13, and probably much easier for the students and parents to understand and use the information.

This is also exactly what we hoped would occur - collaboration (hey, was that word mentioned a few times in the faculty meeting today?) among teachers outside of the "regularly scheduled" collaboration time of our staff development sessions. Way to go Michele and Lauren!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home