Students, you have 2 weeks of your new semester behind you. I started class the first day, asking you all to write down a very specific list of things you are going to do differently (or the same) to ensure success this semester. Here were some of your responses:
- communicate better with my teachers
- do all homework
- turn in work
- actually study for test and particularly finals
- actually do the outside reading for class
- ask questions
- come in to see teacher during unscheduled hours
When I asked you all to discuss the question: why are kids failing, the overall message was that you were failing because many of you are lazy and unmotivated. I was surprised to see you 1) admit that and 2) have a pretty easy-going, resigned attitude about it...as if you know you won't change.
So here is what I'm wanting you to answer:
- Do you feel you cannot change your level of motivation for school? If not, explain. If yes, explain how you have.
- What is a teacher's role in student motivation?
- How ARE YOU DOING so far with your TO-DO list for success this semester?