Thursday, February 01, 2007

The world-wide connection has started!

I have Skype-d for 2 days, discussing and collaborating with Clay on the 1001 Flat World Tales project starting from a town south of Seoul, Korea at the Korean International School reaching into Centennial, CO. What an exciting process! I started a page for my students and tomorrow is the day I bridge between Romeo and Juliet, storytelling and Arabian Nights. We'll how it goes. I discussed it with the kids and they are excited. The only bummer is the time difference; we will not be able to have live conversations very easily because at 8:30am, it is 1:30am. So...I need to map that out. Here's the page I have so far: World Students (HS) page. Karl, I'm steppin' it up!

I also talked to him about a global pay-it-forward project. We are just starting to discuss this; how cool would that be to come up with something meaningful to give back to the world...across oceans, even! Anyone here at AHS (or elsewhere) that wants to explore this idea, let me know!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:33 AM, Blogger Carolyn Foote said...

I can see if any of our teachers here in Austin, Texas are interested!

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Karl Fisch said...

The time difference does make synchronous conversations difficult. But if you wanted to have one or two "special" live conversations, maybe we could get some or all of your class to come after school. I'm not sure when Clay's students can meet as a group, but 4:00 pm here would be 8:00 am there . . .

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger CB said...

My classes are GMT+9 from 9.30-10.55 on Day 1 (B period) and 11.55-1.15 on Day 2 (G period).

How can we do this? I'm flexible for ideas about similarly getting volunteers to meet at more amenable times for you, too. :)

Hey Michele, why not name my school to give the international angle more emphasis--Korea International School.

My admin deserves the credit for supporting this so much!

Let's Skype this weekend. Hawaii may be on board with us, and Shanghai.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home