Friday, November 18, 2005

Take 5--Mathematically challenged


This fraction shows my confidence in my math skills; I am scared of the monster math staring at me on the Infinite Campus screen, "You idiot! You thought you had your grades figured out. Ha! What a mess you created!"Snarling, drooling as it waits fangs sharp and hungry to devour the lowly English teacher trying to adjust grades.

I know, not exactly positive thinking. I am thrilled about the idea of work ethic/responsibility/citizenship categories and then the others reflecting actual learning content categories. But, still I am afraid that my skills as a computator will hinder, and ultimately be a crazed mess.

Ok, what's the big deal right? I already have categories and in fact, I have Participation category where I put covering books, bringing in outside reading book, etc. What I am afraid of is the weighting. I visited with Anne this afternoon and she explained it well, so I feel a little better about my future attempt. I just hope that I can sort through my own percentage paradigms and work out a new one--one that works!

2 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I think you should use our whole class as a resource to help you with this. Post what you are thinking about doing, and what your questions and concerns are, and I bet a bunch of us will weigh in with our thoughts (given that most of us are not shy about sharing our opinions!).

Also, remember one of the things Tony said. This is a process - you don't have to get it perfect the first time. In fact, most likely you won't. But hopefully what you try is better than what you have now, and then what you try after that is better, and so on and so on. I think your students will benefit from your continued and evolving thinking on this, and ultimately will learn more.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Crosby said...

I agree with Karl - tinker! One strategy that has helped me is limiting my categories to just a few - at least to start out. That way, the numbers don't get so small that they are meaningless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home