Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Take 5--A Reason for Collegiality


"Could you help me with a blog?"
"Should we come up with a list of titles for del.icio.us?"
"I am wanting to start a WebQuest, what do you suggest?"

Questions like these have been the new conversation in the department; a new element added to English teachers' vocabulary, but more importantly, new ways to engage students. What has been so wonderful about CIT is excitement for what we're doing. Technology often is scary for many, but with our energy and willingness to try new modes, our success becomes contagious. My Take 5 for today is one that is of gratefulness--perfectly appropriate as I head into Thanksgiving break. I am thankful to be involved with the Curriculum Innovation and to share an inspired, re-energized paradigm of teaching, where we get to be the students.

4 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I'm glad that the enthusiasm is contagious. I'm also thankful - thankful that you guys are continuing the conversation outside of our class - and with colleagues not in our class - in order to try to improve all of our teaching.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Kristin L said...

I agree. I'm glad to be working with other teachers who care so deeply about education; I don't know how many other public high schools have such talented, passionate people who are willing to carry their jobs far beyond the walls of the classroom. Thanks for taking the time to acknowledge this; it's one of the few things our team has talked about that hasn't left me in a state of utter philosophical confusion.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Barbara S. said...

Ditto. It is truly exciting to be a part of this diverse, yet focussed on change, group of individuals. It is one of the few times I have felt like there is honest collaboration between departments at Arapahoe. I lke it!

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Hatak said...

It seems like there are times where we are so busy that we neglect the idea of giving thanks. I think that we should find the time to be thankful for the things that we do have. Like Michelle, Karl, Kristin and Barb I am thankful for this group of educators. I am also thankful for the time to try new things and the student's willingness to attempt things that they have not tried before. I am excited to be a part of something where other professionals are questioning what they are doing and if it is in the best interest of the students.

I am also thankful for not always knowing what I am doing with this new way of teaching and learning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home